Friday, August 23, 2013

Give me my Aji-sarap!

I miss Pinoy and Chinese food. I know it’s only been 4 days, but really, I miss soy sauce and MSG on my food.

I have so far tried only a limited range of Turkish fare, and I have yet to develop a love for it. Last night I had a mixed salad of stuffed eggplant, stuffed tomatoes, kofte, and greens with plain yogurt.



I loved the stuffed tomato, but the rest were just okay.

Today I had baklava for dessert after lunch. It was very very very sweet, but it was somehow reminiscent of turon for me, so I liked it.

I also tried Turkish coffee. It’s served in really small cups – probably the size of a shot glass – and it’s really strong. The first time I tried it I drank almost the whole thing, but the bottom part was grainy, with undissolved coffee beans. The second time I had it someone mercifully informed me that I am really not supposed to finish it, and to just drink the smooth half.



I think there’s still a lot of other local dishes that I haven’t tried, and I have hopes that I will love something soon. But in the meantime let me continue wishing for salt and pepper spare ribs, yang chow, and pork adobo.

No comments:

Post a Comment