Thursday, June 30, 2011

Lessons from Mito #1


I envy the way Mito behaves every morning.

When Mito gets to that point each morning in between sleep and wakefulness – when he’s not fully awake yet, and yet he can’t really sleep anymore – he gets cranky. He rolls over a lot, restless and whining. He crumples his face, shuts his eyes really tight, scratches his head. It’s like he’s letting me know that he’s not pleased at his current state.

I mentioned this to my sister-in-law before; I said I don’t understand why Mito has to be cranky just because he’s about to wake up. She replied, “aren’t we all?” And I had an “oo nga, ano!” moment. I realized I’m cranky too when I am roused from sleep and I don’t want to get up yet, only I don’t show the same fuss as a baby because I am not (supposed to be) a baby anymore. I wonder, though: if I were able to let out my frustration at having to get up when I don’t want to yet, would I feel better after?

After a few minutes of fussing, Mito usually rolls over and lifts his head. He will then see me, and he will notice that it’s light inside the room. And then just like that, all the fussing will immediately stop, and he will give me his sweet smile and he will start exploring his surroundings again – tasting the blankets, trying to stand on the pillows, pounding on the bed’s headboard. It’s as if he’s embracing the new day with wonder. And I sigh and think, if only my day can be as exciting as his. Or if only I can have the same sense of excitement that he has.


Hay my little boy, you’re teaching me so much.














No comments:

Post a Comment